Monday, January 25, 2010

Drip....drip......drip

When I went to put windshield washer fluid in the car this morning I noticed that there was moisture on the hood of my car. Odd.
Then I heard it.
Drip.
Drip.
Drip.
Looking up I saw the water was coming from the centre of the ceiling in the garage. Argh.
I took a quick moment and removed all of the ice and snow from the roof of the garage, hoping to see if that had somehow caused the problem. Then I realized that the odds of it coming through the shingles or backwards from the front of the house was unlikely. It did give me a chance to gain a little composure and think things through. I grabbed my phone and called 'my guy'.
My guy is awesome. Paul knows how to build or fix just about anything. And he answered the phone at 7:10 on a Monday morning, which makes him about the best person in the entire universe.
He asked if the ensuite was anywhere nearby.
Nope. (and phew!)
Then he said that it was likely coming from where the house meets the singles directly above that point. There's a bedroom window there and ample opportunity for something to create a leak. He also suggested that I cut a hole in the drywall ceiling to see if the culprit could be found.
I didn't get a shot of the moldy drywall (about a 6" diameter around a drywall screw), but here are some shots of what I could do:
The first hole. Thankfully there wasn't a bathtub-worth of water hiding out up there. It just kept dripping water.
Then I made the hole larger so that I could feel and see what was going on up there.
Here is what I could see. There was a spot directly above the drip where water seems to be leaking in. It trails along the Tyvek wrapping (or whatever brand plastic wrap this is) down the drip point. The 2x4 at the bottom allowed that to escape to the left and to the right a little, but not much.
Here is a shot to the left. A little more damage, but not much.
Here is a shot to the right. Things seem to be pretty isolated.
With the hole open and it still raining, I feel that there is little I can do now but wait for a dry moment.
Oh, that and pray that any repairs will be inexpensive. Feel free to join me.

No comments: