Saturday, April 21, 2007

Eating dairy free

When Big C was much younger he had a problem digesting dairy. Since his only source of nutrition was breast milk, that meant that I had to remove the dairy from my diet. I have spoken with many women who have come up against the same thing, so I am starting to compile a list of resources that I found very helpful.

I didn't think that I could survive without dairy since it, and things that involve dairy make up most of my diet. It is really do-able once you figure out the large number of things that you CAN eat.

My dairy free experience was because of the impact the dairy in my diet was having on the baby that I was nursing. So the information is in that context. People with a dairy allergy may also find this information useful.

I got a lot of great tips from http://www.kjsl.net/~beanmom/nomilk.html. It gave me great tips about eating kosher foods and the fact that I could eat junior mints.


Big C was not sensitive to soy products in my diet so I switched to soy for a lot of cooking. My mom discovered the the Tofutti products like sour cream and cream cheese are great for baking. We were able to make cheese cake as well as sour cream pie crusts using these and had fantastic results.

My sister discovered that you can search for recipes at http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/find/advanced based on the food you are trying to avoid. At the bottom of the page there is an option to exclude diary (and other allergens) in the search.

My favorite recipe for brownies is http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/1728. For health reasons we excluded the oil from this recipe and replaced it with a container of pureed pruned (the ones meant for babies). We do this with many foods as a fat substitute and find that it works very well.
Sadly we were never able to find a cheese product that was anywhere near as good as the real thing. I did find lots of soy "ice cream" products that were very enjoyable as well as very reasonable in terms of calories.
I was thrilled to discover that Haagen Daas sorbets are dairy free.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

The new import, Sheese is pretty good. It doesn't melt on pizza per say, but it does taste remarkably like the real thing.

If soy is a problem, I highly recommend almond milk, a personal favorite! - www.godairyfree.org