Sunday, June 17, 2007

Ouch, back off my business folks!


I recently was at an event where the fact that I am still breastfeeding 16 month old big C came up. This information was met with a chorus of "ew", "yuck", "gross" along with disgusted faces and people, educated people, squirming in their chairs.


It was the first time in the 3 years (total) of breastfeeding that I have come upon such incredibly rude behaviour.


It occurred to me later that if the same person had said "yeah, she smokes around the children" (I neither smoke nor permit anyone to do so near my kids) I don't think that people would have felt so free to respond as they did. Oh I think that many would have been thinking that smoking around children is not a good idea (or worse), but I don't think that any would have actually said it.


So this is strange to me. We all know that smoking poses health risks. While everyone might now agree with extended breastfeeding (breastfeeding beyond one year), I doubt that people think that it actually causes harm. So why was it okay to react that way with a person you had met 2 hours before?


I am not asking for people to agree or approve of the way that I raise my family, I am just asking for respect while I do what is right for my family. I will respect you while you raise yours.

5 comments:

Amy Paulson said...

Hey! I can't believe someone would have thought it their right to even bring it up in the first place, on top of the response from the others there being BEYOND rude.

I didn't plan on extended BF my child, it just worked out that way. BF is also more than just food for baby. People think it is too cute to see a baby, toddler, or preschooler dragging around a beloved blanket or toy...and wouldn't DREAM of taking it away. Yet, they think that nursing, which is what breasts were made for by the way (no, they aren't hooters!), is nasty, gross, or unneccesary. People say "you need to wean that baby right now"...not understanding that baby not only has a RIGHT to drink HUMAN milk, but they totally don't understand the emotional aspect of it for baby. To quickly wean is emotionally hard on the child, just as if someone came up and grabbed that blankey away and refused to give it back.

So, I say "BOOOO" to those people who think it is their right to tell you how to raise your child, especially when YOU are the one doing what is BEST and natural for that child. Most people also don't realize that humans are SUPPOSED to nurse "extendedly". We don't see this response in others countries where BF is considered the norm. Worldwide, the average age of weaning is between 4 and 7. I'm just going to assume that these people are terribly uncultured and haven't ever been outside the US.

Good luck and "YOU GO GIRL" for giving your children what is best, and for sticking to your guns on this.

Amy

Anonymous said...

There is someting not quite right with a society that has a problem with mother's caring for and providing for thier children in the most natural way.

I am sorry you have to hear these comments, but keep strong. My DS (now 4 1/2) never learned to latch and I ended up pumping for him until he was 28 months. People thought I was crazy, but I reasoned that if he bfed, I would have let him self-wean so why not keep going. I too heard all kinds of comments. All that matters is what you and your child think. You are doing what you know is best. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Nobody else has the right to judge how long is 'too long'. Parenting decisions are made by you and your husband, and are not for others to judge.

Breastfeeding is not easy. And, the long-term commitment you've made has come with significant struggles, all of which you've overcome --- and educated others in the process.

Breastfeeding is so important to you (and many, many families), and you've always been very open about the significance and value. Knowing that, it would be in very poor taste for someone to criticize.

You're an intelligent woman who's very knowledgeable about breastfeeding and the benefits to your children -- both physical and emotional.

Cheers to you for making positive choices for your family.

I'm very proud of you!!!!

much love,
Big Sis.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so sorry someone felt it their place to make a comment on you bfing your baby! Also, I can't believe the response from the others! I wish I was there! I would have say HURRAY for you! If only those people knew what a wonderful thing you are doing for the health and wellness of your son. Bfing needs all the support it can get, and comments from people like that certainly don't help.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it... I nursed Myles til he self weened at 14 months and I plan to do the same with Kylie... is she nurses til she's 2, then all the better! Breast is best for my kids! Myles was exclusivly BFed until he was 6 months when I started home made foods (and *no* baby cereals). Kylie is 4.5 months and will be exclusive for at least another month! I'm providing nutritian that nothing else can. I have amazing kids, smart and strong and I attibute that (in part) to breastfeeding!