Friday, July 28, 2017

A word on Peruvian plumbing

The plumbing is sensitive. As in, you can flush a single sheet of one ply toilet paper in some locations (such as our air bnb in Lima). Most of the rando washrooms we've visited in tourist locations have solved this issue by simply not providing toilet paper.

As with any washroom there are criteria that you look for to distinguish the caliber of the facilities.

1-a toilet seat. I shit you not, at least 3/4 of the facilities we have frequented have not had this option. My squat game, luckily, is strong

2-toilet paper. This one is an acceptable option as it is something much easier than the first criteria to provide on my own. Usually if there is no toilet seat, expect that there will be no toilet paper either.

3-soap. This one I can easily overcome with hand sanitizer (thank you Jesus for the fine people at the purel corporation). This reminded us of other rando bathrooms in Australia.

4-light. A nice option to have, but not required. I've owned these same parts for closing in 4 decades and I'm familiar enough with them to use them with ease without being able to see what I am doing.

5- ventilation. Spin the big wheel. Sometimes you get it. Other times not so much. When you do have ventilation,  it can be more of a blessing than a curse (see above).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh...and one further thought. Need to go in a publue place like a market? That'll be conquetta (50 cents Peruvian). A sol (Peruvian dollar) if in a remote area.

Grandma C said...

I've experienced the no toilet seat thing in public toilets in major European cities like London Paris Copenhagen. I remember having to buy tiny pieces of toilet paper in public toilets in St Petersburg. In most cases in these cities for sanitation reasons I wouldn't have sat on a seat even if there had been one. Aren't we glad we have strong thigh muscles. I sometimes think these are patriarchal societies strongly oriented to satisfy male needs.