Sunday, July 23, 2017

Peru Day 2-Still Lima, just classier

Today is transition day. We end the DIY portion of the Peru trip and join up with a tour group for the next 10 days. Transition time was noon. We cooked our last breakfast in our awesome airbnb's kitchen and then went off in search of ceviche

Since ceviche is raw fish you need to get it earlier in the day. We went to the same market stall as last night but they didn't have any ready yet. We started to walk through the market and Dave spotted a stall where all the locals were eating and the sign said ceviche! We were in business!!

 We ordered two bowls for stupid cheap and sat in his bench in the street eating. It was soooo good! Both boys happily tried it and loved it. The astute observer will note that we also found pork rinds in the market. I don't know what they are made of but I'm guessing it's a combination of opiates and narcotics because they are amazing and highly addictive!! 

As we sat on the rickety wooden bench in the street we agreed that we don't want to eat in restaurants with cloth tablecloths, tablecloths and that really...tables are not even a requirement. 

We all knew the sell out was coming and as the clock struck noon we found ourselves in the lobby of our new hotel sitting in leather chairs, at a table, eating our lunch.
We met up with our tour group which consists of us and another family, and we did a super fun bike tour of Miraflores, the suburb of Lima that we have been staying in.

We saw a gorgeous 400 year old olive Grove that has been preserved. We are pictured here in front of the old wooden olive presses.
 We saw the beach and even a paraglider with a banner behind him proposing to (what I can only assume is) his girlfriend. No one wold let me stand around long enough to see her reaction when he landed. Donkeys.
We saw malls and ruins (hey Dave how did we manage to get zero photos of the ruins between us??)

This smoochy photo was taken in "Love Park".
It was gorgeous!! My only real complaint is the complete lack of discussion on balconies and the limited actual balcony sightings. 
 Our guide brought us to a local restaurant  (that gives kick backs to guides and tour companies that bring people by) and it was tremendous!

I'm a bit high maintenance in a couple of select areas. One of them is pillows. I need a minimum of 3 pillows to sleep. There is no maximum. If you've ever road tripped with me you've seen this phenomenon first hand. I can travel lightly by plane if needed, but then I just have to acquire them at my destination.

For this trip I brought my favourite memory foam contoured pillow. Then I just asked for two extras to go with the one already on the bed.

I speak no Spanish around the linens and bedding department but with some quick charades and knowledge of the number "dos" and some fancy hand numbers to tell them I was in room 505 (while holding my room key that said 505 that I never once thought to show the very nice guy), we got it done.
We are heading to bed early tonight as we have to awaken at the butt crack of (long before) dawn to get to the airport for our flight to Cusco.

No comments: