Monday, July 24, 2017

Peru Day 3-Cusco

We got up at the butt crack of dawn to catch our flight. We ate at tables with tablecloths and actual plates so it was a classy start to the day! it's important to remember that my kids have travelled and stayed at hostels in the downtown of major cities where the tables are picnic tables that have been brightly painted and if you're early enough are not sticky from last night's beer.

We took a mini bus through the gong show that is traffic in Lima. I think if I was expected to drive here I might just be stalled in traffic, unable to merge, with tears streaming down my face.

 I can't even begin to describe it.

Here we are walking through the airport behind our guide like good ducks in a row.
Have mercy, you have to ride a bus to get the plane. C was ALL OVER IT.

 I took photos as we flew over the Andes. I would be lying if I pretended that I wasn't sizing up my fellow passengers to determine who we might eat first....

No idea what this statue was of but it is in front of the airport so we went for it.
And of course a mini bus took us to our hotel, much to C's delight.
Truly, this is the land of the punch buggy!
We took a bus tour up ever higher. This was difficult for all 4 of us as we are not acclimated to the altitude and are not feeling 100%. If we stood up too fast we got dizzy. Walking around was not exactly my best performance...
 Here we saw some crazy big stones built in to a wall that came from at least 45km away. I am feeling a bit like a lazy slob in light of that kind of effort...
The boys tapped out and went back to the hotel while the rest of us toured museums and Inca ruins. 

Of course we saw BALCONIES!!!
Big cathedrals...
built incorporating the old Inca ruins. There are lots of earthquakes here and the Inca had long figured out the most stable construction methods.
When we got back we woke up the sleeping beauties who didn't even realized they'd fallen asleep and dragged them to dinner.

We ate alpaca and tuna while the boys ate pasta and had a cocoa tea to help them feel better. They perked right up.
 I couldn't resist getting street meat on a stick for less than $2 on the way home!!

No comments: