Thursday, October 23, 2008

Happy Mole Day - Kind of

Thank you to my wonderful wife who sent me a mole day e-card. I love you sunshine.
To my confused friends who don't know what Mole Day is, I can do two things to help you out:
1) Send you to the Mole day website - MoleDay.org
However when I tried to cut and paste some stuff to our blog I got this message:
Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.


I guess that the overwhelming response melted a server somewhere.

2) Tell you simply that it's this neat 'holiday' for chemists based on the relation of Avogadro's number to the mole. (a super useful unit for measuring things in chemistry as the Mole is the unit used for calculations in chemical reactions). Since Avogadro's number is 6.02 x 10 exp 23, 'Mole Day' is celebrated from 6:02 am to 6:02 pm on October 23rd.

We did all sorts of neat, fun stuff around our school to promote chemistry. It was neat to see the kids so interested in learning.

No comments: