Thursday, July 30, 2015

Australian Parking

I went over to a friend's place a few months back and I parked my car on the street.  She immediately asked me why I had not parked on her lawn.  Ummm, what?  As she asked it our other friend pulled up, hopped the curb kerb and parked her Toyota Highlander Kluger on the lawn.  I was blown away!

In Ottawa if you parked on someone's lawn they'd likely be all "somebody hold my earrings" and then have to go back out and re-mow the concentric circles in to their lawn once your car was gone.
It was shockingly easy to find photographic evidence of this phenomenon as I went about town with this blog post in my head.
I've spoken with Mudgee residents (this is my sample size) about this and they have indignantly told me that sometimes there is nowhere else to park!  What are they to do??  Like I'm the one asking a foolish question here.

So I suddenly found myself wondering with a start if our exchange family was in Canada parking willy nilly on people's lawns.  I most certainly never thought to clearly explain to them that doing so would be not only frowned upon, but also make them subject to a parking ticket.

So while we are here, we act like the locals.  Wanda already knew what to do!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG can you IMAGINE them parking on lawns in suburban Ottawa?? Have you asked them?? :-)

Unknown said...

This is amazing!!

Saje said...

I'm a bit afraid to ask the question! I can only imagine the reactions. Seriously. There was a box on the application form to tell them things that they are not culturally aware of. I filled out "I have no idea". How was I to know what they would not be familiar with? So many things that we think are "normal" or "common" that JUST ARE NOT.