Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Daddy v Monkey in their first game of checkers

Monkey has been getting excited about games. They play lots of little games at his before-and-after program which he enjoys quite a bit. I often would pick him up and they'd be learning card games or playing simple board games. Since summer started we've made a little schedule of learning games to play - some just for Monkey, come just for Big C and some for everyone to enjoy.
Today it was time for a first game of checkers.
I asked him if he had ever played before. He said ' Hmmm...I've played door checkers'.
I thought that it must have been some game at school or somewhere, so I asked him if he knew how to set up the board and what the rules were.
He needed some direction in learning where the pieces belong and which ways to move, but soon enough we were having a great time.
Here we are with the board set up and Monkey making his first move:This is the response that I got when I asked if he was having fun (after he'd taken my first checker):
Here he is pondering his next move after I set him up for one or two jumps, but not many (you'll note that he's doing quite well)
We each got some kings, though he's ending up in better position than I am:
Finally he finishes me off.
He had a great time and we'll surely play again.
After he did so well I did have to ask for some clarification.
It wasn't door checkers, but 'Dora checkers'. Dora vs Swiper.
Oh, and he was sure to add :'I play Dora checkers against Justin. He's the best player in the class. I beat him.'
Hmmmm.
Looks like I'll need to get practicing.

No comments: