Friday, July 31, 2009

Post 1000 - Out with Big C at the Aviation Museum

This week Monkey is away at camp, so Big C and I have some time for just the two of us (well almost, grandpa just kidnapped him from me for a sleepover). I decided to head for the aviation museum since it was still on my list. A list that is quickly getting vacant. I may need to venture out of the city next month.
Here are some of the highlights from our 3 1/2 visit:
We started by playing out the in playground. It has an aviation theme for all of the climbers, including the rocking airplane. I love the facial expression on this one:Next, we grabbed a photo op at the pilot area:

But then it was time to see the real deal, including this Harrier Jet (I think):
We next needed to call mommy to check in and tell her all about it. If I could caption this it would read 'Excuse me daddy, I need to take this call':
We found all the areas where he could get his hands on stuff, like the controls of this Cessna:
He also had to look out the window to see if he could see the people as small as ants:
After some snack, we hit up the simulators to fly, or rather repeatedly crash, some planes:
Next we found a spot that I don't remember for our previous visit. A big black-glass room with just one door. The lights were off the first time we passed by, but the second time they were all on....and guess what was inside?
Toys.
Lotsa toys.
Every jet, plane, helicopter and associated emergency vehicle that you can imagine.
I think we left after about an hour, at daddy's request.
We took an educational moment to put together one of the puzzles there. He did it surprisingly quickly.

Lastly, we left the museum building by checking out the old cars and motorcycles. He was sure that this one was Doc Hudson.


Before we could leave entirely though, I wanted to go check out the airstrip that we could see from inside. We eagerly headed over hoping to catch a glimpse of ones of the planes at the side of the runway.
Then I heard the roar of an engine.
I got Big C all primed for what was about to happen and hurriedly grabbed for the camera.
A really cool plane took off right over our heads.
Big C was soooooo excited.
Here are the only shots that I could get as I fumbled for the camera.
Here's Big C watching it go up.
and here it is now the distance behind him.

What a great morning and way to celebrate 1000 posts.

2 comments:

PB said...

BigE and I did a trip yesterday. Did you play find the logos?

As for picture there is now way that is a Harrier. Here's the Harrier http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/collections/artifacts/aircraft/BritishAerospaceAV-8AHarrier/. Note how the exhaust ports under the wings are adjustable.

That pic is (I believe) a Banshee http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/collections/artifacts/aircraft/McDonnellF2H-3Banshee/

Saje said...

You've certainly got that right. It was the Banshee. The name escaped me when I was making the post. Good on ya.