Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Rocket Launch

Last year I was looking to get my hands on a device that I could use to launch a rocket made from a pop bottle, similar to the one that we saw at the Museum of S & T. They didn't sell any of the samples that they had, however you could order them online from England. Considering the shipping and the price, I passed. I told myself that I'd put together the pieces from Home Depot and look up the instructions on-line.
A year passed.
Earlier this week we were at the museum on Mimi's last day. The complete instructions and pieces required were being sold there. I was in.
Today I dropped Big C off at pre-school which presented the perfect opportunity for Monkey and I to try it out.
He was beside himself with excitement. We took the items and his bike to a nearby park with lots of clearance to the road and got the items assembled.
Monkey took instruction well as to how to put things together.
Then came the pumping on the bicycle pump.
And more pumping.
Until finally it was airborne!
It shoots a good 50 to 75 feet in the air, much to the amazement of five-year-olds, any old gentlemen walking their dogs (there were a few) and the guy waiting to mow the field.
After we ran out of our 4 litres or so of water,which was about 8 flights, we called it a success and headed for home.
I must apologize for the lack of photo for the launch, but safety required that I do the last few pumps (which admittedly are quite difficult) to get the rocket airborne. He hopped on his bike and we were off for home.
We'll be back at the park either this afternoon or tomorrow, weather depending.
Woo hoo!!!

No comments: