Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Day 2-Rookie Canadians!

I'm not convinced that there will be a daily blog post for the whole year, but so far so good!!

I woke up at 3, Dave at 4, Monkey at 6 and it is 7:15 and the doodle is still sleeping like a champ.  That kid fell asleep in about 15 seconds last night (more on that below).

I find that there are still a lot of things running through my head, things that I need to deal with and once my mind starts at 3 there isn't much point in trying to sleep.  The house has an office as part of the master suite, so I tend to come in here and pound through stuff.  This busyness will pass I'm sure.  For now it is trying to get the car insured, dealing with a Canadian banking snafu (thanks Gen for being my girl on the ground to deal with that one!!), buying phone/ipod charging devices, submitting health insurance claims from the $2000 in medications that we had to get in Richmond when our carry on bag was mislaid.  Just stuff.

It occurred to us that we are not sure that the car is still insured.  So today Dave may get a reprieve from learning to drive it while we sort that out. (update, we found insurance, this driving thing is totally happening today!!)

The peach popcicles are ready this morning and the kids were over the moon when I said that they could have them for breakfast.  They are peaches, a bit of sugar and milk-that suits me just fine!!

The day took a bit of a turn from that point, but I'll spoil the ending and say that we're all fine, so don't fret.  We had booked an appointment at the medical clinic to get a referral for the doodle to see a pediatrician while we are here.  We were told that he needs that in order to continue his current ADHD meds (long story short, he doesn't).  He got up around 7:30 and was absolutely a limp noodle.  Just utterly lethargic.  We were both worried that perhaps he'd been bitten by something and were relieved to be already heading to the doctor's anyhow.

I hopped in to the car and discovered that I had left the lights on yesterday (hey, there's a LOT going on when I am driving right now!!) and the battery was dead.  The jumper cables that we found in the garage were not working, so the neighbour drove us to the appointment.  The doctor was immediately very concerned about the doodle and called over the the ER to let them know that we would be right over.  Gen to the rescue again with contacting the medical insurance and having them call me since I could not figure out how to contact them from down here.  In the end the ER doctor concluded that the doodle was very dehydrated and we got a talking to about staying hydrated over here.  The doodle fights us about liquid consumption anyhow, so this will be an ongoing battle even more so now.  They hydrated him with special freezies, confirmed that he does not have diabetes and sent us home.


I had to pay for the appointment with cash and was instantly thrilled that we did not exchange to the United States.  The entire bill was $120.  We got seen right away and received excellent care.  I snapped this shot once we knew he was okay, but you'll have to forgive me that I was not thinking much of capturing this rather high stress time in photographs while it was happening.

Our new friend Neil came and picked us up and drove us home and another colleague met us there to jump the car with different cables.  He even left us the cables.  He came home and (had a whole bunch of water) ate a great big lunch and went for a while on the trampoline.  We're thrilled to see him so much more upbeat.  

So that is our day up until 1:30pm!


No comments: