Monday, January 26, 2015

Week 2-Australia Day

Today dawned bright and early for the WB family.  We actually needed to be somewhere for 9am.  We got the Monkey dressed proudly in his Canadian Scouting uniform and went off to the local park to celebrate Australia Day (complete with bouncy castle!).  His group was responsible to raise the flag and he was chosen to hold the Scout Flag.  He was quite proud, as you can see from the photos.

On the way home we recognized that the roads were all but deserted...so I pulled over and THIS HAPPENED!!  Yay!!!  He stalled it a few times, but we practiced starting and stopping on level ground and at some intersections (such as there are in Mudgee!!).  With some confidence built up, he drove us home.
No idea why this is sideways.  I did try to straighten it.  He's driving, in case you can't tell




We had a wonderful 'straya day BBQ with new friends.  Apparently you must have lamb on Australia Day.  This was news to me but I was more than happy to oblige!

We got home and both boys individually expressed that they are feeling sad and missing home.  Monkey is telling me that he is missing Roxy.  The doodle says that he misses his room, the cold and the lack of scary spiders and things.  We've been here just over a week and as a family we've never taken a vacation longer than that.  It doesn't surprise me that they are finding that things are catching up with them.

Dave starts school on Tuesday and the boys start on Wednesday.  There are some big transitions yet to come.





1 comment:

Grandma C said...

Congratulations Dave. It all gets better, once your feet figure it out.
How very special for Monkey to be the flag bearer. I'm sure you will enjoy getting to know your new pack.
Please know that I am missing you too. I feel like I have holes in my life right now. Change is difficult for all of us.