Saturday, February 14, 2015

Birthday Cake Part Deux

So on to the next layer of the cake.  The pan that I am using is so enormous that I had to make it in two batches.  The fact that it takes 10 hours to cool a cake before being able to get it out of the pan, means that it happens on two different days.That's right. You heard me.  TEN HOURS.  So I whipped together attempt number three, which netted me this beauty. I let it cool.  And cool.  And then cool some more.  Finally, the cake that I cooked while dropping the kids off at school, got flipped upside down as I picked them up from school.  Well apparently that was a bit ahead of the cake's schedule and I got this result:

 Close enough to be honest, as the next thing that I was to do with it was this:
 The I added the white icing and sprinkles to make spectators, the dirt race track:
 And then chocolate bars.  Still need to add the race cars to it, and then it is done.  I am not the slightest bit pleased with this cake, but the Doodle is thrilled with it. He picked the design and put up with my execution.
And that, my friends, is what matters.

Wine.  Gah!  Why didn't I think to have a glass of wine when I was done??

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If the Doodle is thrilled, then celebrate. Yes, with a glass of wine. The Doodle and his Mater cake is still the best video of all time.

Grandma C said...

The cake is fabulous. I remember how much fun I had making yours. I don't think I ever did one this creative.