Thursday, February 12, 2015

Birthday Cake

With a birthday down under, momma was hoping to get away from cake decorating and just make a lovely desert to celebrate the big event.  The doodle woke up and announced that he had a plan for his cake, and that the plan was to be a race car stadium made out of chocolate. Try as this momma might, he was not to be dissuaded.

Scratch any plans to get to the well organized to do list today.  Instead I went to 4 grocery stores and a friend's place to grab things I needed.
 I got all settled in and took a solid look at the recipe I had been provided.  IT GIVES MEASUREMENTS IN g.  WHAT THE WHAT WHAT???  Oh man.  A quick google reveals that my worry was misplaced as it is a one to one conversion.  I proceed accordingly and the batter is FAR too liquid for it to even begin to give me the impression that it will work (spoiler alert, it's not a one to one conversion).  So the first cake turned out like this:

Uh oh. So I threw in the second one, making some modifications along the way.  Usually I would put my mother in charge of helping me with such drama llamas, but she is currently rocking out with the chair aerobics group at the local convalescent home, so she doesn't have access to her usual stash of excellent resources.  Flying solo I am. So, left to my own devices, I came up with this:
 
It looks like it might be better, but it has been "cooling" now for over an hour with no sign of actually getting any cooler.  I'm not sure how I am going to get it out of the pan.  It is touch warm here in sunny Australia!!  
So if that one works, then I will need to make a second one to do the upper deck of the stadium.  Stay tuned.  I did buy a boxed cake, something I have never done before, as a plan B.
 Meanwhile the boys and I came up with a plan for the smashed cake after school.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You bought a BOXED cake? You have dishonoured the family name ;-)

Saje said...

I bought it, luckily I do not use it. Well, that's not entirely true. I used the sugary powdered chocolate for the dirt race track as I figuredo cocoa would be too bitter and they don't have previously crumbled oreo crumbs here.

Saje said...

I bought it, luckily I do not use it. Well, that's not entirely true. I used the sugary powdered chocolate for the dirt race track as I figuredo cocoa would be too bitter and they don't have previously crumbled oreo crumbs here.