Saturday, April 11, 2015

First School Break Trip-Day 3 cont'd my dad, the cows, and understanding

Picking up from yesterday, I am out for what I have been told is between a 5 and 10K run.  I am 8K in.

My dad once made the mistake of saying that he was afraid of cows.  I think my sister, my mom and I spent the next 10 years buying him cow shirts, calendars and just generally being pains about the whole cow thing.

Now, I completely see his point.  Cows are huge and really stupid.  That's not commonly a recipe for success.
So I'm jogging up a dirt road, and I know that the run is longer than I signed up for, but my phone battery is low and I don't want to suck too much of it trying to get a completely accurate map.

Suddenly this cow is staring at me from my side of the fence. I don't love this situation. In fact, I suddenly completely understand what my dad was talking about.  It's a blurry photo, I get that now.  I swear there was a cow staring at me from my side of the fence.  Trust me on this.
 So this cow, and a whole pile of other (fenced) cows are staring at me and there is NO ONE around. I am trying to convince myself that it is very likely not a bull, but not overly interested in getting close enough to confirm.
I come up with a plan to walk carefully up the road and hop the barbed wire fence on my side of the street if the need should arise. There didn't seem to be anything in the paddock and the devil you know vs the one you don't and all that... Thank you spartan for convincing me that hopping a barbed wire fence in Lululemon is not a very big deal.
 As I walk past the cow, she is still staring at me but is now magically on her own side of the fence, with no cow sized hole in the fence through which she is orchestrating her little Hudini impersonation.

So I kept running, and running, and running.  At 12k, with the sun almost completely set I phoned Dave and the innkeeper said I was 250m away.  So I ran...another 1.5k and with the sun completely down and my phone battery almost dead, I had to make the go no go decision. For the first time ever, I called Dave and asked him to come and pick me up.

I was reasonably annoyed to discover that I actually ended up pretty close to where I had started after all.

1 comment:

Carol Badenoch said...

I looked at the Endomundo results, and your times are good. Those are really respectable times for the distances you faced. OK -- I'm just the proud Mom.
Good grief! I grew up with fields of cows. How did Tom win on this one?