Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Day 9 NZ - jet boating in Queenstown and the road of Imminent Peril

We knew that jet boating on the Shotover River was a must do in Queenstown. We stopped by one of the many travel booking places and this was the sales pitch:

"So there's the Shot Over Jet Boat that you've likely already heard of..."

"Yup"

"So they're good. However...there is another company that does the same thing. It is $4 more per person but the trip is twice as long, includes a little commentary about Queenstown and includes 20 minutes each way of 4x4 driving on a really cool dirt road" as he looks meaningfully at the excited 9 and 11 year old children standing with us.  I quickly part with my credit card and we even get a free photo package included. 

This morning we show up at the appointed time and place and are fresh faced and innocent as we get on to the bus.
We drive past the Shotover Jet place and note that they are located on a main road.

Fancy.

This cyclist has stronger quads that I ever hope to attain in my life. He was about 1km up this winding mountain road and was still rolling-I am fully prepared to award him extra points for rolling FORWARDS .
Life changed for us shortly after our lively conversation about the cyclist.  We turned down the dirt road and started seeing these signs.
But first, we stopped at a lovely look out spot and got a quick tour like talk about the ski hills and mountain bike trails in the area.
BigC installed himself in the front seat. I'm glad he loved the experience.
We started to get even more suspicious when we saw signs like this one. I mean, that is a lot of warnings all on one sign and the New Zealanders are known for being understated.
So the road is a 2 lane directional road with a speed limit of 100km/h. Thing is, it is the width of one vehicle at the best of times and very, very close to a sheer drop off directly down in to the canyon far, far below.
 Then oncoming vehicles appear as if by magic and we have to share the road. At one point we pulled over so far that I grabbed Monkey's thigh so tightly that he asked me to let go. Believe me, his thigh was not the only thing I was clenching.
We made it to the jet boat, which was the entire point in the first place.
The jet boat was fabulous. Absolutely outstanding. The thing has no boat motor, it is powered by a jet engine so that it can glide on top of very shallow water.

The point of the boat ride is to go as close to the canyon walls as you can, spin in 360s and generally do all of the stupid things no one mother would ever let them do of she knew he had a boat.
It goes without saying that the boys were over the moon with the ride.
I have been a bit worried that my calluses would heal from the lack of working out with weights on this vacation. I'm sure that I set that healing process back a week or so with how tightly I was holding on to the rail on the boat.
The boys just grinned and laughed.
We stopped at this outstanding spot and stared in wonder at the incredible views
I am forever ruined. I will never see this in Ottawa.
We can see what everyone warned us about.  It's just amazing.
Lucky us, we got to take the bus back to Queenstown. There were like TWELVE different vehicles that we encountered on our way back. I was pleased to not be sitting in the seat that stared down in to the canyon...oh and Monkey took the navigator seat for the way home, can't imagine why...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So the sales pitch was 'there will be transportation and more transportation.' Yup. Can see why you parented with your credit card. Love those smiling faces.

Carol Badenoch said...

I can't imagine a day more suited to you -- something for everyone! Big C was certainly in his element. I LOVE the expression on Monkey's face.