Tuesday, December 15, 2015

NZ Day 3-Lake Tekapo

We started the day at the Christchurch Air Force Museum. The boys absolutely loved it. It was interactive and they could climb in and on all sorts of stuff.


We got on the road around 11 and started towards Lake Tekapo.
The roads were windy and hilly, but we had been warned about that,  so it wasn't a surprise.
Every corner that you drive around you are rewarded with vistas that could be on a postcard.
I've learned to pull over whenever I see a scenic viewing point. If the locals think I should pull over, I should likely find out why!
There are fabulous snow covered mountains all through today's drive.
We stopped in Lake Tekapo for a few hours. We did the Mt John "walk". I'm going to suggest this is more than a "walk". We gained significant elevation over a short period of time.
 It was necessary for the track to zig zag up the side of the mountain at some points in order to facilitate our passage.
 I was amused by the wide variations in outfits people chose to wear at the summit. We were in shorts and short sleeves. We saw people in down jackets, scarves and even a couple of toques  (beanies)! It was a bit chilly I suppose,  but those of us who hiked up the mountain were plenty warm!!

 The youngest one was a but slow, but he did make it! 
The views at the top were incredible!

I'm really pleased that we stopped here. It was a but odd to do a bush walk and have everything go as planned. We intended to go for a bush walk, we saw sheep but none decided to walk along with us.  It wasn't a walk that was typical of my Aussie adventures!
Lake Tekapo's other claim to fame is this beautiful church that overlooks the lake.
I'm pretty sure that we saw Mt Cook along the drove to Twizel, our final destination today.
I now completely understand why multiple people, including the guy at the rental car agency, warned us that people would stop in the middle of the road to take photos.
Tomorrow we are staying in Twizel and seeing the sights.

No comments: