Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Beta Fish Home-Free

That is what the sign said as I walked to lunch today. It is nearing the end of the month and people are starting to get rid of their stuff as the move from one place to live to another. Sitting outside of an apartment building on my way to Coriander Thai was a dresser. On top of the dresser was a beta fish bowl, the rocks for the bowl and some beta fish food.
I immediately think of how excited Monkey will be if I get him a fish. I grab the free "home" , then I go for lunch and swing by the pet store on my way back. Now having been a foster parent with the Ottawa Humane Society, I fully understand the importance of really thinking it through when you decide to get a pet. It is not advisable to add a new cat or dog to your family on a whim. I can honestly say that I don't feel that applies to a $2 beta fish. Well, $7 by the time I bought the fish and some water de-chlorinating stuff.

I told him on the phone that I had a present for him. He pretty much frisked me when I got off of the bus! He loves his new fish. He has not decided if he is going to call him Lightening or Thomas. He even came downstairs after he went to bed tonight to double check that the fish was fed and comfortable. Heck, maybe in a couple of weeks we'll get him a puppy to raise.

Then again, likely not!!

No comments: