Monday, August 24, 2015

Mudgee Running Festival

Every year Mudge hosts a running festival that offers 5, 10, 21.1 and 42.2km distances.  A number of locals tried to convince me to run the half marathon. Unfortunately, I had absolutely no desire whatsoever to do so.  I would have needed a few more obstacles and a whole lot fewer hills!
I registered for the much more sensible 10k distance and set up to run it with my friend Liz.  The 10k race was set up as a double loop of the 5k race.
The course was nice and safe for kids to run and there were heaps of water stations.  They mentioned jelly beans as well but I stayed away since I have a sore throat. We were able to accomplish all of the run on footpaths and using pedestrian underpasses.
 The course doubled back on itself frequently enough that my three fans were able to wave to us 4 separate times as we ran by.  Hence the shockingly large number of photos from today's event.
There were lots of high fives along the course and the rain held off for the most part.  We ran directly through my favourite part of Mudgee, the one where the venous brown snakes are so prolific that even the Australians have found it necessary to put up a warning sign. *shudder*
Despite my attempts to convince Liz that completing the 5k seemed more than sufficient to prove our point for the day, we soldiered on and completed both laps in their entirety.
Liz set a personal best and I was thrilled to run with her for that.  She'll need to find a different running partner next year when she does her first half marathon!
 This race medal will be one of my favorites,  not just because of the awesome memories that it represents, but also that it's the only one that I have with a spelling mistake* on it.

*limited edition collectible

No comments: