Monday, October 15, 2007

Tonight's trip to CHEO

I'll start with the end. Big C is fine.


Now that you know that, here is what happened. Big C got up from his nap, but Dave didn't realize that he was up. He apparently let himself into the ensuite bathroom, despite the closed door and opened the cupboard and pulled out mommy's eye makeup remover. He got the lid open, took a drink, dumped a bunch on the counter, his pants and all over himself. When Dave realized that Big C was up, he found the bathroom door closed, Big C reeking of eye makeup remover and Big C carrying his prize (the half full bottle).


So he called me to find out if I was close to home. I was. When I got home he told me what was going on and asked how much was in the bottle when Big C started. I had no idea and since so much had been spilled, it was impossible to know how much got into the child.


So we called poison control. We were on hold with them for more than 7 minutes. So we called 911 to see what they thought. They don't think. They just call other people. So they called the ambulance. Even as I was saying that I didn't think that I needed one, they called. So now the ambulance is on the way and poison control finally answers the phone. They *think* that it is probably okay, but are not sure. They will call back.


The ambulance takes more than 10 minutes to arrive so they can't have been that concerned. The paramedic looks at the ingredients. He sees that glycol is one of the ingredients, remembers some random information and says-yep, antifreeze, he has consumed poison, we have no choice but to transport him to hospital, you can't stay at home. Of course, we go.


Mid way through the ambulance ride, I email the troops and ask for prayers for our little man. The troops reply that they are on top of it. 5 minutes later (more than 20 minutes since we first called), while we are in the ambulance, heading south towards CHEO, poison control calls back to say that they think everything is fine. They are surprised that we are in an ambulance. They say as much to the paramedic.

We get there and the Dr is super disgusted with the paramedic and tears a small strip off of him right in front of me. She says "you brought them here for THIS?" waving the bottle. He replies "there is glycol in there". She says "yes, the NON TOXIC kind."


So we wait for two hours, the paramedic leaves and big C doesn't react to the stuff in his system so we get sent home. At worst, he'll have loose stools, at best, nothing will happen.


Thank God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How scary is that, I can't imagine how you felt. I am so happy to hear all is well.
Kim