Sunday, May 24, 2015

What to do on a sunny afternoon in Mudgee

Dave here.
We were blessed with a gorgeous sunny afternoon at home and no plans. So, it was time to get outdoors. I offered up a bike ride to Monkey and he was all in. 
We hopped onto our bikes and headed for a road so-far-untravelled. 
We didn't get very far before we noticed just how very close we reside to the Mudgee airport. We were able to cycle underneath a plane that was landing - no huge surprise as the sky is largely cloudless.

We cycled down the paved road and found we were surrounded on both sides by vineyards. The sprawling hills and open fields are absolutely lovely. Both Monkey and I stopped for a quick photo at the side of the road, soaking up the sunshine.

After a few km we decided that we should turn around and head for home. Monkey, with a very keen eye, not only found a leatherman tool at the side of the side of road, but also eight (8!) kangaroos sleeping in amongst the vines. At first I had a little trouble spotting them, but quickly was able to figure out where they had been resting once I got close enough to try to get a photo. I must say that I prefer to find them this way rather than when they run out in front of our car.


As we proceeded home, we noticed that the winery we passed were not only having an open cellar door, but had a deal on their 2014's to make room for the 2015 vintage.
After a quick text to Saje at home and a solid hour of wine tasting later with a wonderful manager at the vineyard, we made our way home with a box of 12 :)
Looks like we have some work to do over the next 7 months.
This is my kind of labour and I must say, I'm getting quite happily accustomed to being in the land of wine.


No comments: