Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Dave at work - a fun day at 'the office'

It has reached the part of the school year where I have fewer demands on my prep time and am making as much time as I can to take on 'extras' for other teachers in my department and checking off the list of things I've wanted to do all year while in a very different school on the other side of the planet.
Today, agriculture class.
It was fascinating to see how this rural school teaches kids about agriculture where my Canadian school focuses on small engine and auto repairs ,as well as wood shop and some metal work, the Aussie school focuses on animals and crops.
I rode the bus across town with one of the Agriculture classes and met the sheep that they're breeding. They weigh them, 'crutch' them (remove wool near their tails so that they don't get flies or infect the wool), feed them and care for them. Here, I got a selfie with Tululah - the local photobomber.
I now understanding why some of the kids come to class with uniforms that are dirty!
They also have a few cattle at the paddock. It's a superb program and is very well run.
Back at the school there is a small agriculture plot with some of the more sensitive animals. Here is one of my year 9 science students and her young bunny.
and here are the really little ones...(incredibly adorable)
oh, and we were lucky enough to find a dead mouse in one of the sheds. It became chook (chicken) food.
I saw my first quail eggs. Some had just hatched and were the smallest baby birds I had ever seen on a farm. They grow to full size in just 6 weeks and only live for 12 months!

It's been great to see so many different approaches to learning.I have dozens of ideas to take back to Canada!

No comments: