Saturday, July 26, 2008

From 3 wheels to 2

For a while now there has been discussion about dropping the 1 training wheel and learning to ride on 2 wheels. Slowly but surely Monkey's friends have been spotted proudly riding on only two wheels at the park, going past our house...none was motivating for him. Until....EMAN CAN DO IT!! Oh man, it was ON! We came home and after the initial tour on his new kettcar, he wanted to ride on those two wheels.

We had been loaned a stick that gives parents a handle bar but it doesn't fit. So we going to do it old school.

First Mr I took him out for a bit of a spin. They went tearing up and down the sidewalk with Mr I holding on tightly.
I got a video of Monkey and Mr I. It is a little windy and you can hear Big C riding his bike in the background.

Next it was mommy's turn. I took off my boots, put on my runners and gave Mr I the camera.
We had some good runs. And we had some good falls. We talked a little bit about the basics of physics. If you lean too far to one side, you'll end up on the ground on that side...
A bit more discussion. I remember this same discussion with my father while I was learning to drive a 5 speed car. Me-"I've had it, I want to go home". Him "I'm not unlocking this door, get back in the car and drive". Me-"no". Him, "yes".

I did it. And so did Monkey.
Ready? Go...I'm holding on with a finger...
no hands! Just him-glorious!!
He knows he's got it. My hand is hovering behind him, but he's on his own.
Another milestone.


No comments: